Introduction to Childbirth for Doulas
With Patty Brennan
“[Unfortunately] I received my doula training from another trainer … thank goodness Patty has renewed my faith in DONA and the holistic model that it originally represented. In an age where so many mothers in hospitals enter a war of interventions, Patty gives us the confidence in our intuition to help mom prepare for a safer, conscious birth. It was well worth the extra miles to get here! Patty should be cloned to teach these classes everywhere.” — Kristin Kelly, Traverse City, MI
2013 Schedule & Fees
- June 28 (ERD 6/7)
- August 16 (ERD 7/26)
- October 25 (ERD 10/4)
Fee $125; $110 if paid in full and postmarked by the Early Registration Date (ERD) listed
Want to become a doula and wondering where to start? Start here and get grounded in the basics of childbirth education. This class fulfills the pre-requisite for DONA Birth Doula Training as well as a certification requirement for birth doulas. (Please note that it will only fulfill DONA certification requirements if it is taken PRIOR TO the Birth Doula Workshop.)
You will learn to:
- Explain basic anatomy and physiology of pregnancy and the labor and birth process.
- Help clients optimize their nutrition for a healthy pregnancy.
- Connect the dots between discomforts/complications of pregnancy and nutritional choices.
- Facilitate informed decision making with up-to-date information on the benefits/risks/ alternatives to medical interventions in the birth process and with the newborn.
- Differentiate between the midwifery model of care and the medical model of care.
“This was a very open and encouraging class! Great start to the doula weekend … very educational.” — Carla Podsiad, Ypsilanti, MI