DONA Birth Doula Training
With Patty Brennan
“This workshop was amazing! Patty is an excellent speaker and her passion for the importance of a doula really showed throughout the sessions. This was a very well organized workshop in a great facility. I am so glad I came and think that every woman should have this training.” — Noelle Zalar, Oregon, OH
“Thank you so much–I can’t get enough! I only wish I could take this workshop and the postpartum one, over again for the first time. What an education and experience! Best $$ I ever spent.” — Kat Oshman, Ann Arbor, MI
“I took your birth doula class in February to help my daughter through labor…. She did fantastic, remained in full control, trying a lot of different positions and various techniques…. We tried and did many things I learned in class and I appreciated everything you taught and suggested. It turned out being a great experience for everyone involved. Thank you!” — Dana Borenitsch
2013 Schedule & Fees
Saturday & Sunday, 8:30am–6pm
- June 29 & 30 (ERD 6/7)
- August 17 & 18 (ERD 7/26)
- October 26 & 27 (ERD 10/4)
Fee $385; $350 if paid in full and postmarked by the Early Registration Date (ERD) listed
Learn about our Doula Business Builder Training Packages. Bundled trainings at discount prices!
Take a tour of the center …
Listen to a 10-minute Audio Program on Frequently Asked Questions & Answers about doula training and becoming a doula.
This comprehensive workshop fulfills one step towards professional Birth Doula Certification through DONA International. Click here for more information on the DONA certification requirements and associated fees.
Are you interested in a career working with moms and babies? All through time, and in all cultures, women have supported and mothered other women at the time of birth. Today, the role of the doula has evolved. Doula certification is part of an international movement to professionalize the traditional role of the female support person in childbirth. You do not need to be a mother yourself, nor have a medical background to become a doula—just a passion for birth and the desire to be in a support role for other moms (see training pre-requisites below).
Certified doulas may become self-employed as owners of independent doula practices (we will give tips on how to do this), while folks interested in pursuing careers in maternal/infant health, such as midwifery and obstetrics, can benefit from the opportunity to obtain short-term training and experience. And soon-to-be grandmas can bring new knowledge and skills to their support efforts.
What will you learn?
- comfort measures & pain relief techniques
- positioning & movement to support physiologic labor & birth
- support strategies for normal & challenging births
- massage techniques & acupressure points for labor
- essential communication & advocacy skills
- the doula’s role prenatally, during labor & in the postpartum period
- facilitating informed decision-making
- and more.
Training Pre-requisites–Choose One
- Take the Introduction to Childbirth for Doulas class offered on the Friday immediately preceding the doula training weekend. This class is a cost-effective way to fulfill both the pre-requisite and a certification requirement. OR …
- Observe a series of Childbirth Preparation Classes for expectant parents. The class must be a minimum of 12 hours in length. It is possible to fulfill a certification requirement here as well, provided that the class meets DONA requirements. OR …
- Read the following four books from the DONA Reading List. Reading these books also fulfills certification requirements.
- The Birth Partner: Everything You Need to Know to Help a Woman through Childbirth, 3rd Edition (2007), Simkin
- Pregnancy, Childbirth and the Newborn: The Complete Guide, 4th Edition (2010), Simkin, Whalley, and Keppler
- Ina May’s Guide to Childbirth, Gaskin
- The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding, 8th Edition (2010), Wiessinger, West, and Pitman
What do our students have to say about their doula training?
“I absolutely loved this experience. Worth my money and time investment. I am so thankful I undertook this venture. I feel inspired and filled with recognition of my soul’s purpose. Thank you for being here and running such an amazing workshop.” — Jess Juntunen, Hancock, MI
“Patty was such an inspiring woman to learn from as I begin this new part of my life! Her energy, enthusiasm, and passion for serving mothers and their babies (and partners!) will stay with me forever.” — Kate Louik, Ann Arbor, MI
“Great learning environment. Best class I have ever attended.” — Michaela Anderson, Adrian, MI
“As a young woman who has never experienced pregnancy or birth, the subject was a bit overwhelming at times. But your teaching style made the material so approachable, understandable, and fun.” — Mary Colleen Casey, Ypsilanti, MI
“Entire weekend was so amazing, inspiring, and informative, I never wanted it to end. I hope to take more classes with Patty in the future.” — Sarah Barrette, Grand Rapids, MI
“I recently went to my first birth, and it was awesome! I just wanted to thank you for your center and the opportunities it has given me.” — Lauren Peace, Ypsilanti, MI