Introduction to Our Classes for Expectant Parents
Center for Childbearing Year has been selected for the 2013 BEST OF ANN ARBOR AWARDS in the Childbirth Education & Preparation category.
We offer a comprehensive selection of childbirth, breastfeeding, and newborn care classes and resources designed to help you grow a healthy baby, enjoy the best possible birth experience, and ease you through the early weeks and months of caring for your baby. To see a description of each class, use the sidebar to your left. Learn more about the core values that underlie our programs.
How do our classes compare to other “method approaches” to childbirth education?
The Center has chosen not to affiliate with any brand name methods of childbirth education. Rather, we have developed our own eclectic approach, drawing the best from what various methods have to offer. The curriculum has evolved over the years, with feedback from parent course evaluations playing a major role in the process. We care what you think! Experienced doulas and midwives have developed this curriculum based upon our experiences with laboring mothers. We share what works.
- Understand the process.
- Anticipate your needs and plan to get them met.
- Learn pain coping techniques.
- Make choices that are informed and right for you.
- Support your partner.
- Troubleshoot challenges.
Our classes incorporate up-to-date information, interactive teaching methods, and a comfortable, welcoming environment. Our expert instructors include active birth and postpartum doulas and an expert breastfeeding educator/consultant.
“Ayase likely couldn’t have had a natural birth without the great birthing class we took at the Center. My wife is enjoying the breastfeeding resources that the Center offers as well!” — Paul Saxman
Are you experiencing any of these obstacles to attending birth preparation classes?
- Scheduling conflicts?
- Concerned because you or your partner has to miss one or more class in a series?
- Lack of options for quality childbirth classes close to home?
- Too tired to attend classes after work?
- Confined to bedrest with a high-risk pregnancy?
- Already know the basics and are simply looking for a refresher class?
We offer expectant parents MAXIMUM FLEXIBILITY through our comprehensive collection of multi-media Online Childbirth Preparation Classes.
- If you have to miss a class, for any reason, we will give you access to online classes so that you can make up the material. That way you won’t miss out!
- While we recommend the full seven-week series for first-time parents, we understand that is not an option that will work for everyone. Check out our Condensed Series for the hands-on group experience and then fill in the gaps with your own customized mix of online programs.
- OR, go online all the way!
Community-Based vs. Hospital-Based Childbirth Preparation
“Here are your choices …” rather than “This is how we do it …”
Community-based childbirth education is consumer-oriented. We do not teach you to be a “good” patient; we teach you to be an informed consumer! Hospital-based childbirth preparation programs (as a general rule) tend to promote the institution’s policies and protocols, with an eye to encouraging patient compliance rather than informed decision making. Informed consumers know their full range of choices and understand the benefits, drawbacks, and alternatives related to each choice.
- Parent-to-Parent Support
- The Breastfeeding Cafe
Lending Library & Resources
- Lending library of books, DVDs, and CDs
- Community resources
- Online Directory and Links to service providers and resources