Childbirth Classes Online ~ A comprehensive multi-media collection
Navigating your birth journey with confidence …
- Free Sample Class & Demos
- Childbirth Classes Online ~ Overview of Offerings
- Introducing the Collections ~ Description of Classes
- How it Works
Our Childbirth Classes Online are unique, multi-media programs with a personal touch. The creator, Patty Brennan, has distilled into 12 separate online classes her 35+ years of experience as a childbirth educator, doula, midwife and mom. Featuring a holistic, consumer-oriented approach. Learn current, evidence-based information and strategies from a trustworthy source.
- Enjoy the convenience of self-paced learning.
- Customize your education, choosing only topics relevant to your needs.
- Review information and practice techniques any time.
“My husband and I have watched all of the Process of Labor and Birth Videos. They were extremely informative! Thank you for offering these classes in an online format; we both work long hours so this is such a wonderful option. I’m looking forward to the others.” — Andrea McEnulty
“Really enjoying these classes so far! You did an excellent job explaining in detail and being very informative on all things! Also very much appreciate being able to do online classes as it works so well with mine and my husband’s schedule.” — Georgia Howard
Childbirth Classes Online ~ Overview of Offerings
You can choose to:
- Select our First Baby or Refresher Class packages (see box below); OR
- Purchase a collection (discounted packages of Healthy Pregnancy, Labor & Birth, or Postpartum classes); OR
- Create your own customized mix of classes and save 5% off your choice of two or more items; our multiple class discount works for any combination of onsite and online classes for expectant parents; OR
- Purchase one class at a time (click on each title below for more information); OR
- Invest in the entire collection for a comprehensive approach (Best Deal!).
Introducing the Childbirth Classes Online Collections
Healthy Pregnancy Collection
- Choices in Childbirth: A Consumer’s Guide (Free)
- Optimal Nutrition for the Childbearing Year ($18)
- Essential Exercises & Stretches for the Childbearing Year ($25)
- Proactive Strategies for a Healthy Baby & a Good Birth ($18)
Labor & Birth Collection
- The Process of Labor & Birth ($35)
- Natural Approaches to Pain Management ($47)
- Navigating the Medical Setting: What Parents Need to Know about Epidurals, Cesareans, Birth Plans & Informed Consent ($35)
- Supporting the Birthing Mother: Tips for Partners & Other Helpers ($18)
Postpartum MotherBaby Collection
- Physical Recovery after Birth ($25)
- Breastfeeding Basics ($18)
- Caring for Your Newborn ($35)
- Your New Normal: Postpartum Emotions & Adjustment Strategies ($18)
Invest in Entire Childbirth Classes Online Collection (all 12 classes) for comprehensive preparation!
The 2nd and 3rd payments will be automatically charged to your credit card (on the same day of the month) for two consecutive months following purchase.
Description of Childbirth Classes Online
Healthy Pregnancy Collection
- Is an OB/GYN surgical specialist the safest attendant for a low-risk, healthy mom?
- Are midwife-attended births safe?
- What about water birth?
- How is the midwifery model of care different than the medical model?
- Are hospitals the safest place to have a baby?
- Should I hire a doula?
- Who constitutes my dream support team?
Identifying the type of care you want, the best provider of that care and the location for your upcoming birth are critical decisions that too many couples regretfully decide by default—the hospital that is closest to your home, the OB your friend used, the in-network provider approved by your HMO or just blind luck. Maximize your chances of being attended by a trusted team of care providers who understand your hopes, dreams and expectations for your birth. Learn the pros and cons of your full range of choices in today’s maternity care market. (.5 hours)
- Optimize your baby’s brain development.
- Improve your energy level.
- Enhance the elasticity of your skin and tissues (prevent stretch marks and perineal tearing at birth!).
- Generate an abundant supply of breast milk for your baby.
What’s the truth about vitamins, supplements, eating fish, weight gain and safe use of herbs during pregnancy? What nutrients do I need more of and why? What if I’m a vegetarian? In this program, we draw a clear connection between nutritional choices and discomforts of pregnancy, complications of pregnancy, complications of labor and delivery, a healthy baby and breastfeeding success. Connect the dots! (1 hour)
- Prevent and correct back pain (both before and after baby).
- Relieve sciatic pain (nerve pain shooting down one leg).
- Balance circulation-related stresses (varicose veins, numbness and tingling).
- Practice hip-opening stretches in preparation for labor and birth.
- Optimize the functioning of your pelvic floor (correct urinary stress incontinence, prevent trauma and more!).
- Tone your abdominal muscles postpartum (includes adaptations for post-cesarean moms).
Understand how your body is changing and what you can do to provide balance and support in preparation for birth and mothering. Integrating basic principles of good pregnancy body mechanics with yoga stretches and simple exercises, we’ll help you care for yourself throughout the childbearing year. This program includes nine demonstration videos. (1.5 hours)
Part 1 of this program is designed to optimize your chances of having a healthy, full-term baby. What is the truth about hazards pregnant women should avoid (your beloved coffee, a glass of wine, diet soda, hot tubs)? What are the signs of premature labor, often missed by the mother until it is too late? While we may experience urgent problems and poor outcomes as a stroke of lightning hitting us out of a clear blue sky, complications rarely occur in a vacuum. We can choose to believe we are helpless OR we can become proactive and do everything in our power to ensure a healthy mom and baby.
In Part 2, we focus on preparations for birth. So much emphasis is placed on “the stuff” in our culture that we tend to think of preparation in terms of a shopping trip (or ten!). We are proactive about providing a special place for our babies to sleep, get changed, or ride in a car and that’s only the tip of the iceberg. But too little thought is given to encouraging baby to settle into an optimal birthing position, lining up appropriate support and ensuring mom has the necessary energy stores for labor. (1.25 hours)
Labor & Birth Collection
Women’s bodies are perfectly designed to birth their babies. Just how does it all work? We will cover basic anatomy and physiology of labor and birth and walk you through the signs of impending labor, the stages of labor and the first two hours after giving birth. We can reduce fear through understanding and appreciating the body’s purposefulness. What are the mother’s needs as she moves through her labor? How can she best respond to contractions so as to minimize pain? How do her needs change as the process unfolds? How can partners and supporters help? We’ll answer these questions and more! (2 hours)
How does our culture of fear affect birthing women? What are the physiologic effects of fear in labor for both mom and baby? In Part 1 of this program, we will encourage you to face your fears related to birth and identify a number of fear-busting strategies. Can we reframe our fears, manage them, and come to a belief that birth is not something that happens to us but, rather, is something we DO?
How do you know when the laboring mother is coping well and when she is not? What does coping look like? There is a difference between pain and suffering. Labor pain need not overwhelm the birthing mother; it can be managed. Suffering is, by definition, not okay. In Part 2, we present a variety of non-pharmacological approaches to managing pain. We will:
- Demonstrate positioning and rhythmic movements that encourage good progress through labor.
- Practice conscious relaxation.
- Explore the use of your breath and vocalization as a tool.
- Discuss the use of visualization and affirmations.
- Practice comforting massage techniques.
In this class, we cover key information on medical interventions in the birth process for both mom and baby. Emphasis is placed on informed decision making and providing evidence-based information rather than preaching the “right” way to have a baby. The framework for discussion will be benefits, risks and alternatives to medical interventions. You will gain an appreciation of how interventions are inter-connected and can turn into the “cascade” of medicalized birth. How can we best minimize the unintended consequences? We will provide a sample birth plan template, discuss the limitations of birth plans and teach you how to be your own best advocate. (2 hours)
What is the job of labor support? How can dads/partners best support the laboring mother? We will help partners explore and define their preferred level of involvement at the birth and provide concrete labor support suggestions (complete with a quick-access reminder checklist). In addition, we’ll address how to ease and resolve specific challenges including:
- Correcting posterior presentation (a.k.a. “back labor”)
- Comfort measures for relief of back labor
- What to do when progress in labor stalls
- How to help the exhausted mother (when labor goes on too long)
Postpartum MotherBaby Collection
It is undoubtedly difficult to imagine yourself on the other side of the looming door in front of you, but I guarantee you’ll get there! Once you are home with your baby, a whole new set of questions and concerns come to the forefront. We will define normal for you and identify major red flags that should generate a call to your midwife or doctor for follow up. We’ll provide tips for healing, including holistic approaches. And we’ll address the pink elephant in the room—sex after baby. (1.5 hours)
The breastfeeding relationship combines instinct and learned skills. This class focuses on the first critical weeks of your baby’s life and provides basic information and resources to prepare the mother-to-be for a satisfying breastfeeding experience. Learn the basics of breastfeeding and how to get off to a great start. How often should you nurse your baby and how do you know that the baby is getting enough? Topics include understanding your baby’s instincts and hunger cues, positioning and latching the baby, and how to overcome common obstacles. (1 hour)
Incorporating the latest research on the abilities and behaviors of the newborn, we hope to increase your understanding of your baby. From variations on the appearance of the newborn, to newborn reflexes, sensory capacities and states of consciousness, parents will become familiar with what is normal for newborns. What does your baby need? How does the baby communicate his/her needs? How do you care for the baby? This program includes video demonstrations on swaddling, diapering and bathing the baby, as well as “how to” use a sling or baby carrier. In addition, we will identify major red flags that indicate a need for medical follow-up. (2 hours)
Postpartum emotions can be a bit of a rollercoaster! Major life changes—even joyful ones—can be a stressor for all of us. So, when do normal adjustment challenges cross the line into “this is not okay”? From baby blues to postpartum depression, we’ll walk you through the symptoms and provide tools to help you determine whether you should seek help for what you are experiencing. We will also explore a variety of coping strategies to help ease the transition into parenting, no matter the circumstances. (1 hour)
Want them all? Invest in all 12 classes!
How our Childbirth Classes Online Work
After purchase, we will provide you with password-protected links to secure pages on our website within 24 hours. You will then be able to stream video across a variety of devices, though they are optimized for viewing on a laptop or desktop computer. You will also receive links to download audio files (included with some programs) and a course pack of additional resources (PDF format). Access is limited to two devices and expires nine months from your purchase date (but can be extended upon request).
Classes will engage you and your partner through:
- Audio-visual slide presentations
- Demonstration videos
- Guided partner exercises
- Audio downloads
- Course packs include worksheets, check lists, “Best of the Web” resources and links, and more!