Birth & Postpartum Doula Training
- DONA Birth Doula Training
- Breastfeeding Basics for Doulas
- DONA Postpartum Doula Training
- Doula Business Builder Deluxe Training Package
DONA Birth Doula Workshop
With Patty Brennan
2017 Training Schedule & Fees
Join us for a professional training that blends a deep appreciation for the miraculous physiology of women’s bodies with a practical approach to the challenges of giving birth in a fear-based culture. How can we guide the birthing mother and her partner out of fear to strength and empowerment?
In this hands-on training, we will practice:
- support techniques for normal birth
- how to troubleshoot common challenges
- how to best facilitate informed choices
- centering techniques, acupressure, massage and use of the rebozo
- comfort measures and natural approaches to pain management
- communication and advocacy skills for navigating the medical setting effectively
- movement & positioning to support physiologic birth
Additional topics covered:
- the doula’s role prenatally, during labor and in the postpartum period
- nutritional counseling and discomforts of pregnancy
- anatomy and physiology of pregnancy, labor and birth
- overview of the labor and birth process
- the meaning of “support”
- emotional needs of the mother
- breastfeeding and the doula’s role
- and more!
Help put an end to birth trauma … Become a doula!
Your instructor, Patty Brennan, has created this dynamic training based on her 35 years of experience as a doula, childbirth educator, homebirth midwife and doula program visionary. You do not need to be a mother yourself, nor have a medical background to become a doula — just a passion for birth and the desire to empower other mothers to have the best possible experience.
This workshop includes the pre-requisite “Intro” training and fulfills two steps toward professional birth doula certification through DONA International.
Breastfeeding Basics for Doulas
With Barbara Robertson, MA IBCLC
2017 Training Schedule & Fees
Join us for a professional workshop taught by lactation educator extraordinaire Barbara Robertson. Learn the very latest in evidence-based breastfeeding support from an expert lactation consultant and breastfeeding educator. This class will enhance the doula’s ability to assist breastfeeding mothers immediately post-birth and in the early days postpartum. Barbara’s enthusiasm for all things breastfeeding is contagious! Topics include:
- a new look at breast anatomy and physiology
- importance of skin-to-skin contact
- newborn self-attachment at the breast
- a new view of positions and latch-on
- getting off to the best start possible
- how to know baby is getting enough/not getting enough breastmilk
- when to make a referral
This class fulfills a DONA International certification requirement for birth doulas. (It is included in the DONA Postpartum Doula Workshop and fulfills the pre-requisite for that class. If you are intending to take the Postpartum class, you do not need to register for this class separately.)
DONA Postpartum Doula Workshop
With Patty Brennan & Guest Instructors
2017 Training Schedule & Fees
This 30-hour training prepares you to create your own postpartum doula business offering excellent, skilled, in-home support services to families with newborns. The workshop fulfills two steps toward professional Postpartum Doula Certification through DONA International. Click here for information on DONA certification requirements and fees. Topics include:
- Breastfeeding—doula support skills and troubleshooting strategies
- Babywearing—safety, pros and cons of a variety of slings, babywearing twins, and “how to” (hands-on)
- Postpartum Depression—recognizing the symptoms, how and when to make a referral, and doula support strategies
- Infant care and baby calming techniques
- Twins & Multiples—how doulas can help
- Holistic healing support and comfort measures
- Identifying “Red Flags”—referral triggers and limiting liability for doulas
- Shaping a postpartum doula practice (acing the interview, shifts, fees, services offered)
- Changing Roles—evolving needs of all family members and doula support strategies
- Grief and loss support, effective communication skills, and more!
Postpartum Doula Training Pre-requisites
DONA requires that participants complete a Breastfeeding Basics class prior to taking the Postpartum Doula Workshop. This training includes the Breastfeeding pre-requisite and the DONA Postpartum Doula Workshop in one four-day workshop that fulfills two certification requirements.
Doula Business Builder Deluxe Training Package
What’s in the Deluxe Package? Great value!
If you are thinking of becoming both a birth and a postpartum doula, then this package is for you! The package includes the following:
- Attend a DONA Birth Doula Workshop (includes the Introduction to Childbirth for Doulas pre-requisite class on Friday of the training weekend)
- Attend a DONA Postpartum Doula Workshop (includes the Breastfeeding Basics for Doulas pre-requisite class); our March 2017 Postpartum Workshop is currently full; we do have a Wait List available.
- Unlimited access to our Small Business Basics Online Classroom (8 classes)
- Advanced Business Training for Birth Professionals (a one-day implementation training; includes our new Doula Business Guide Workbook: Tools to Create a Thriving Business)
- Completes 5 requirements for professional birth and postpartum doula certification through DONA International
Plus two Free Bonus Offers to help you jump start your business:
- Patty Brennan’s definitive business book (on the DONA required reading list), The Doula Business Guide: Creating a Successful MotherBaby Business, 2nd Edition (a $30 value)
- 2 free listings in the categories of your choice in our online Professional Directory; listings are good for one year and can be claimed whenever you are ready (a $75 value)
How it Works
To register, you may choose between a one-time payment of $967 OR four installments of $250 each. On the payment plan, your credit/debit card will be charged on the same date each month for three consecutive months following the initial payment. (Other types of payment plans are available, but need to be approved in advance; email firstname.lastname@example.org. We want to make this work for you!) Please list your choice of 2017 training dates in the “Questions or Concerns?” box towards the bottom of the registration page. If you need to change chosen dates later, you can do so, but we ask for a minimum of four weeks notice. This training package will save you money! Please read our Refund Policy.